Thursday 6 May 2010

In defense of food

Pointed by Tzui, the author of 《廚房裡的人類學家》, I get Michael Pollan's In defense of food : the myth of nutrition and the pleasures of eating (London: Allan Lane, 2008). Unfortunately, I am heading to Shanghai and later Edinburgh very soon and clearing up my "borrowed library". I just very quickly flipped the book (still managed to do so!) and was deeply attracted by the content. Read the following excerpts:

The American nutritionist Marion Nestle points out that "The problem with nutrient-by-nutrient nutrition science" "is that it takes the nutrient out of the context of the food, the food out of the context of the diet, and the diet out of the context of the lifestyle." (p. 62)
The book will return to where it belongs now and come to me again after the summer hopefully if I could resist the temptation to buy it in Edinburgh. Fingers crossed.

No comments: