Thursday 26 March 2009

MSG is all around

It sounds like a myth that only the Chinese are addicted to MSG (Monosodium glutamate), which was invented by the Japanese more than a century ago. Is that true? I always question such kind of quasi-racial presumption. It doesn't break a sweat to know the truth.
In fact, popular American fast food chains like McDonald's, Burger King, KFC all use MSG extensively. Others foods like Campbells and Walkers are no better. Of course, you never know the ingredients of Big Mac and realize the fact that MSG is no longer labelled properly but marketed brilliantly and irresponsibly.
A few weeks ago, while I was enjoying pre-packed wanton produced by a local brand, I felt I had some of the symptoms of the Chinese restaurant syndrome. Then I checked the ingredients label and I expected that I would find MSG on it, but none. (I was so stupid that I didn't check it before buying it) Instead, I was puzzled by "flavour enchancer (E621)". What the hell is that? I jumped to my laptop and google. It is MSG!!! E621 is the code of MSG! I was furious and hastened to check my Walkers stock. E621 again. My goodness, MSG is all around.
BTW, in response to my earlier post Chinese food mania, finally I had Yorkshire pudding again last week after I left England for almost two and a half years. Thanks to M & S.

No comments: