Monday 19 October 2009

The Ugly Truth about Hybridity

In order to expose myself more to the cruel reality (which is apparently a self-torture), I watched The Ugly Truth last weekend, which is very intriguing, funny, and up-to-the-point. I strongly recommend it to my friends and students who have been so much frustrated by male-and-female relationship. I can assure you that it is a completely different experience to pay to admit the ugly truth about men and women before working on it.
What's more stimulating, and literally uglier were the side dishes, the hate-it-or-love-it trailers of True Legend (蘇乞兒) featured by Jay Chow's bizarre costume, MJ's posthumous concert-movie This is it (which I was deeply drawn to watch it but stopped by a rational head), and the Japanese- and Eurasian-starred (Joe Odagiri and Maggie Q) The Warrior and the Wolf (狼災記) (I wonder if they would speak Chinese in the movie).
The last one is particularly related to an article I have just read today, Emma Jinhua Teng's "Eurasian Hybridity in Chinese Utopian Visions: From 'One World' to 'A Society Based on Beauty' and Beyond," Positions, Vol. 14, No. 1, Spring 2006, pp. 131-163.
I have the least intention to draw my readers, if any, from reading the original paper by reproducing my summary. Let me jump to the conclusion at once: "hybridization does not challenge the existing racial order, but rather reinforces notions of racial hierarchy while palying into the politics of 'lightening.' Thus, if the idealizations of the Eurasian examined here disrupt the boundary between yellow and white, they simultaneously create a new boundary between the yellow/white and the darker races: hybridity's effect is less a disruption of binary categories than a displacement." (p. 158)
Take a break, reading an out-of-your-field article won't cause you a penny.

No comments: