Saturday 20 June 2009

The infamous myths of HK II - population density

I simply wikied for the answer and I was not disappointed.

First of all, I was redirected to list of countries and dependencies by population density. Leading the way is our neighbour Macau, with 18,705 inhibitants per square kilometre (km2). Close behind is Monaco (16,905/km2) followed by Singapore (far behind with "only" 6,814/km2) and Hong Kong.

Should Hong Kong (6,326/km2) outnumber Singapore by 500 people/km2, Hong Kong will be among the top three. In fact, the total population of the top two cities (579,165) are even less than Kwun Tong (587,423) alone and thus it might be reasonable to exclude non-million-population cities. In other words, Hong Kong is no. 2! I was thrilled (because of the accurate claim rather than the rank itself).

Cross checking of various sources is a common and good practice of enquiry. However, should I not have cross-checked for the truth, I would have good faith in official textbook and not be heart-broken.

Again, I wikied and was linked to the curious list of cities proper by population density. Scrolling quickly from the top to the bottom of the page (top 40 in total), I found only Macau (no. 21 only!) and Hong Kong was nowhere. Anxious. Word search for HK, none. Frustrated.

I was completely shocked by the misleading claim (among the top densest cities). It was an absolute hoax. Pathetic.



No comments: